First off, this just started about 2-3 months ago! Self care is something I lack in big time. I use to just take that time once a month when I’d get a manicure or pedicure as a “self care” but, that would be the extent of it. The waxing, massages, facials, relaxing tubs all happened whenever I had time.
All that has changed! Each Sunday I set time out for myself, usually at night once the boys are in bed or a little before. I have been following quite a bit of black female youtubers, mainly for my hair journey. I noticed their hair care routine would happen on their self care day. This got me thinking, I need to set time out for me. I have started this hair journey & why not take care of my entire body on Sundays. Relax, Unwind & Rejuvenate my skin!
First & foremost, if you know me, you know DIY is most likely going to come into play on self care days! Well, Of Course! Self Care Sundays for my consist of hair & skin. Nails, I like to get my nails & toes done at the salon at least 1-2x per month. I will occasionally do my own nails on a self care routine sometimes but, not very often.
Self Care Sunday Routine; (in this order)
- Facial – Indian Healing Clay, this can be mixed with water or apple cider vinegar. I use apple cider vinegar & aloe vera juice.
- Hair Mask – Indian Healing Clay, mixed with the ACV & aloe vera juice, I will add a little JBCO in for the hair part.
- Flossing & Oil Pulling – Oil pulling benefits, still swear by these methods
- Steaming – use my steamer on my face after mask dries, this is NOT on instructions, this is something I choose to do.
- Waxing – Sally Hensen Wax, still swear by this self waxing kit.
- Relaxing Tub or Hot Herbal Shower – using essential oils or bubble bath, this depends if I did a hair mask.
- Coffee Scrub – DIY scrub that I have been using for 4 years & swear by it for stretch marks & loose skin
- Skin Care – Lotion or oil to lather my skin.
- Hair Care – follow my hair care routine (Hair Journey page soon to come)
Everyday Self Care Routine;
- Aloe & Honey Face Wash – 1 cup aloe vera juice & 1 tbsp honey, mix together use on face as a wash
- Hyaluronic Acid Serum – 4 drops on to face, massage until dry. After face wash
- Oil Pulling – 1 tbsp of olive oil swished around in mouth for 3-5 minutes, rinse with warm water
- Meditation – 12:30PM everyday an alarm in my phone goes off, at this time no matter where I am I will start to listen to at least 1-2 songs & focus mediate. This has happened in the car, grocery store, & appointments. No matter where you are, even if you don’t have calming music you can still clear your mind & reset your mind for 2-5 minutes. There are so many ways we can meditate, how will you start?
Everyone’s self care is going to be much different. Each day we should take time for ourselves, whether that is 2 minutes or 30 minutes.
- Wake Up Early
- Read a book
- Listen to your favorite song
- Drink a glass of water when you first wake up
- No technology when you wake up
- Write out your day
- Listen to inspiring podcasts
Always take time for Y O U!
This is something I am starting to do more & more. No matter what it is, you have to take care of you! Start small with your self care, if your new to this. I started with the little things & now EVERY Sunday I make sure I make time for myself. Whether early in the morning or once the kids are in bed. Either way, Sunday is the Day! If you have some self care routines or have another day you self care on please share! I love to hear what others love to do on their self care days.